Want More Battery Life?

SpoonySage

N3DS Community Ghost Gym Leader
Awards
Credits
Before my girlfriend went on a long trip to study abroad, I bought her a Nyko 3DS Battery to make her battery life last the long plane ride and heck, it only cost me $10 at Toys R Us. The box claimed it doubles your battery life and seemed to be worth it as an experiment.

nykoinstalled.JPG

As you can see, when installed, it adds a bit to the thickness of the system and therefore makes it unable to fit in protective cases or the Dual Stick Pro, but will still fit in most all travel cases. It may be a bit of an eyesore in that picture, but on a Cosmos Black 3DS it blends in nicely.

The real surprise was how much it was under sold. While my 3DS will need to be charged once a day, hers now lasted FOUR plane rides (round trip US to Amsterdam and from Amsterdam to Cape Town, Africa). She only played when flying, but the fact remains that it was closer to tripling her battery rather than just doubling. She plays more casually than myself, but only charges once a week now. Keep in mind though, it takes twice as long to charge now, so it is more of something to do overnight rather than trying to charge it in the morning.

So, there's the pros and cons of this battery. Honestly, as I am uninterested in getting the Dual Stick Pro and feel my protective covers might hamper streetpassing (she ALWAYS gets one more person than me whenever we go out), I think it is a definite buy.

Would you get a battery extension like this? Or would you not want to modify your system?

Neat. As long as I know what I'm doing, I'll probably go after one myself.

I'm always rather suspicious of 3rd-party batteries (and indeed perihperals in general) like this. I worry what effect they may have on my console, not to mention worrying about potentially poor build quality and shoddy materials meaning it won't last very long.
I mainly play my 3DS at home, anyway. I've never once had my 3DS run out of charge during play. The few times I'd play it away from home I can just charge it before I go, and at home I can play whilst it is charging.

I'm always rather suspicious of 3rd-party batteries (and indeed perihperals in general) like this. I worry what effect they may have on my console, not to mention worrying about potentially poor build quality and shoddy materials meaning it won't last very long.
I mainly play my 3DS at home, anyway. I've never once had my 3DS run out of charge during play. The few times I'd play it away from home I can just charge it before I go, and at home I can play whilst it is charging.

This is the main reason I saw the $10 investment as an experiment. I am also very wary of this sort of thing, but was happy with the results and thus thought to share. As for as running out of battery, when I go out most of the day and want to streetpass, I find that almost any playing will kill the battery by dinner time. This is especially annoying when I am at conventions and am getting 50+ streetpasses a day (a dead battery means I could be missing tons more that night).

Isn't there one you can attach to the back of the 3ds without removing the back nor it's actual battery? I'm pretty sure I saw one and I think it said it can fit in the charge stand.

Cool, Worth 1 day of babysitting this summer
smile.gif

This is the main reason I saw the $10 investment as an experiment. I am also very wary of this sort of thing, but was happy with the results and thus thought to share. As for as running out of battery, when I go out most of the day and want to streetpass, I find that almost any playing will kill the battery by dinner time. This is especially annoying when I am at conventions and am getting 50+ streetpasses a day (a dead battery means I could be missing tons more that night).
Really? Do you have it on high brightness or something?
When I do 10 hour shifts at work, I can have it in my pocket StreetPassing all day, and actually play on it for an hour during my breaks, and it still has about half charge left by the time I get home.

I have the NYKO powerpak PLUS. Too bad you need to get a seperate charging dock though...

Hm, for as crappy as the battery life is (on full brightness and occasional 3D mind you), I usually always have access to a charger anyways. However, the next trip I go on I'll be sure to look into this. Does it have a plug-in charger, or does it need to be docked?

Back